Loaded potato salad
Potato salad is like one of the oldest salads ever, a true classic. Growing up it was always between potato salad and coleslaw for special occasions and boy was it so good. This loaded potato salad here is even better. It’s amazingly loaded with crispy bacon and crunchy peppers and freshly ground black peppercorns for that subtle yet amazing kick. This recipe is truly tested in our home and to quote my BIL “it’s better than meat”, my crazy BIL aside it’s always a winner.
What goes into the loaded potato salad
Potatoes; Any potatoes work in this recipe and here in Mzansi, our potatoes are rarely labeled according to types eg russet but to grades.
Bacon; Get some diced bacon to save some time and if you have ‘normal’, dice it before you fry it
Spring onions; These add some fresh flavour and garnish to the dish, my not-so-secret secret ingredient in potato salads.
How to make this delicious potato salad
First, get all your ingredients together, I always say this I know but it’s really important. It helps to make sure you don’t forget something.
Peel and dice the potatoes, wash the eggs, and add to the pot with half a teaspoon of salt/aromat. Pour water, cover, and bring to a boil, cook about for 30 mins. The potatoes will taste better if you boil them with a little salt and boiling the potatoes and eggs together is a great way to save on the electricity bill.
Get the cooked potatoes, chopped eggs, bacon, red onion, red pepper, and spring onions as well as the freshly ground black pepper and aromat.
In a large enough bowl place the potatoes, bacon, eggs, red onion, red pepper, and lastly the spring onion.
Add the black pepper and aromat/salt to the mayonnaise and mix well.
Mix well until everything is combined and coated with creamy mayonnaise. Chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
Enjoy on its own or as a side.
Loaded potato salad
- 1 kg potatoes
- 3 large eggs
- 200 g bacon
- ¼ cup red onion
- ¼ cup red pepper
- small bunch spring onions
- 1¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp aromat/salt
- Peel and cube the potatoes and wash the eggs. In a medium pot add the potatoes, eggs and half teaspoon aromat or salt, cover with water and cook covered for 30-40 mins or until the potatoes are soft.
- While the potatoes are cooking prepare the veggies thats dice the red onion and red pepper and finely chop the spring onion and set aside.
- After 15 mins of boiling the potatoes and eggs, take out the eggs and place them in cold water to cool and then chop them up. Fry the bacon and also set aside.
- Mix the remaining aromat /salt with black pepper and add to the mayonnaise and stir until well combined
- Once the potatoes are cooked drain any water and put in a bowl, add the veggies, bacon eggs and mayo mix, mix everything well and serve either warm or chill in the fridge for later